Want to make something new and unique? Maybe you have a box of barley laying around that you used for a soup once upon a time. These bars are perfect for a fast and nutritious breakfast or snack. You can take them on the go or even freeze a few to take out for an outing with the kids.
Barley Breakfast Bars
Delicious and Healthy Breakfast Bars
Servings: 16 Bars
- 1 9×9 Inch Pan
- 1 Oven
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 Cup Flour Whole Wheat or All Purpose
- 1 Cup Cooked Barley
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- 3 Tbsp Oil Any light tasting oil
- 3/4 Cup Applesauce
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon Ground
- 1 Large Egg Lightly Beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9-inch square pan with lightly greased parchment paper so that the paper hangs over the sides of the pan. (No parchment paper? You can lightly grease the pan instead).
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, barley, coconut, cranberries, and almonds. Set aside.
- In a microwavable container, combine peanut butter, honey, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and cinnamon and microwave 30 seconds, stir, microwave another 15 seconds, then stir until melted and combined (add more microwave time if necessary).
- Pour melted mixture over dry mixture and stir together.
- Add egg to mixture then spread the contents into the pan. Press down firmly and evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is lightly golden. Cool for 30 minutes, then cut into square bars.
Where’s the barley?? I can’t see it in the ingredients list, just the method. If so, does the barley have to be flaked rather than pearl, which is what I think most people will have but which I imagine would come out inedible without being precooked.
Emily, you are 100% right, when I ported my posts over, that ingredient in the recipe was left out. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. It’s 1 cup of cooked barley. So you can microwave or cook it in a pan depending on which type of barley you buy and then you add that to the mixture. I’ve updated the recipe.